Wednesday 9 October 2013

Mary & Milly



Sweet and stylish, Mary & Milly is an up and coming independent label named after the founder, Poppy's grandmothers. Aiming to capture their classic, elegant ensembles, I chat to Poppy to see how she's kept their styles live and kicking.

So, where did the idea for Mary & Milly emerge from and how important was creating the brand?

The idea emerged from my love of fashion as I studied fashion and marketing and wanted to set up my own business when I was older. Initially, I wanted to go into buying, which I did in the final year of my degree in a buying department in Manchester. When that came to an end due to a temporary contract, I decided to make my dream a reality and set up on my own. 
Mary & Milly has a lot of meaning to me as I was very close to both grandmas. It was so important to follow my dream - I always think if you enjoy what you do you will naturally work even harder at it.




Was it an easy process and what kept you motivated along the way?
It wasn't an easy process as such but, I had a lot of support from my family, friends and boyfriend, which was very important in helping me have the courage to set up! I think the business name itself has kept me motivated and still does - I want to make something of my grandma's names.

Have they been your influence in terms of style? Although very stylish, I don't think mine, 'Willowmeina and Majorie' would have the same ring to it!

Yes! My business is based on their style with Mary being more classic and Milly, more vintage. I loved both of their styles and would often wear/use their scarves, jumpers cardigans and handbags. I would get lots of compliments too which was nice! I have entwined this vintage and classic style into the business, yet have sourced everything from new, myself. My style icons would be Coco Chanel, Audrey Hepburn, Victoria Beckham and Keira Knightley, who have influenced how I select items.


Surely you must have had the odd fashion faux - pas?!
Oh yes, it has to be a red shirt and black tie combination when I was younger and experimenting with my style. It makes me cringe but style evolves and I would definitely not wear that now!!

Shirt and tie combos aside, what would your advice be to others wanting to pursue similar paths?
To others I would say enjoying what you do is one of the most important things - work is a big part of your life and will be for some time - you might as well enjoy it! My life motto is seize the day.

What are your plans for the future?
My own website is currently being developed, so waiting to go live with that, which is exciting! Then growing the brand so that is is widely recognised and loved! There's potential for a menswear range too, so look out boys!

Where can we see your lovely stock?

You can come and see us at pop up shops all over England. We are currently at UCLan on Mondays, Edge Hill University on Tuesdays and Lancaster University on Thursdays. And, of course if you can't make it, you can shop 24/7 worldwide on ASOS Marketplace, www.maryandmilly.co.uk, or you can even book your very own home party!

No comments:

Post a Comment