Thursday 10 October 2013

L A Y L A


Okay, it's confession time. I've been a bit of a Jose Vanders' super fan since I was about 16. I remember stumbling upon her Myspace page (see how long ago?!) and falling in love with her sweet voice and lyrics about chocolate buttons and juicy peaches. I may even have posted it on my profile, along side photos of me sporting that old time classic, the emo fringe. Please forgive me for my former sins, I am not worthy.

Like my fringe, Jose (as in Josephine, not José) has moved on and now records under the name LAYLA. 

There must be a copy of your CD somewhere which I remember copying to my huge iPod and playing on repeat. Without wanting to sound incredibly gushy, your older songs really related to me at that age, and do even now. It must be a very odd yet rewarding feeling to know how yours songs affect people - would you agree?

I am always very humbled when someone tells me that they have been moved in some way by my songs, thank you. For me, the process of making music becomes completely enlightened when you realise that what you are doing has the power to really soundtrack people's lives. It's the maddest, most inexplicable feeling, but one that undeniably keeps many musicians going. Music is an emotional crutch for so many people, and I am blessed if I can in some way do what I adore to help people get through their day, on whatever level.

How important is writing your own lyrics and could you tell me a little about your process?


In all honesty, the songwriting process is still magic to me, and I can't quite work out how I write the best songs. I do know that writing my own lyrics is definitely important, because I need to feel something when I perform or record them. In terms of processes - it varies. 'Yellow Circles' for example, was written on a guitar about ten minutes after I had my breakfast, and I saw my dog lying down on the carpet with a diamond of sunlight streaming through the glass onto his head. And then the song popped out in about 4 minutes. For me certainly, the creation of lyrics isn't always a conscious thing, but I would never write about something I didn't believe in.

Has this changed since you've got older and more mature? Do you have any regrets? If so, what advice would you give to a younger you?

My writing process has definitely changed! I have worked with a lot more people and had time to hone my craft. I now have less fear that I am getting it "wrong", because I finally understand that in songwriting - or indeed, the arts in general - there is no right and wrong. That said, I am more self-aware than ever before, and consequently sometimes crippled with doubt. I guess, the more you learn, the more you realise there are countless ways of doing things and it's easy to lose sight of YOUR way. 

With regards to regret...  I don't believe in it. Nostalgia for the past and wishing you had done things differently completely detaches you from what you have achieved in order to be where you are NOW. If we didn't make mistakes, and miss opportunities (both of which I have done in spades), then you would never learn or understand what it means to fail; or indeed realise an opportunity when the next one comes your way. 

I would encourage anyone starting out in the music world to completely ignore anyone that says do it as a hobby and pursue something more 'real'. Fuck them. Being creative for a living is as real as it gets. If 'real' is following a path where you will be miserable for the rest of your life, don't do it. Do things for the right reasons, not for someone else's reasons. 

Both the song and the video for Mother Theresa Can't Drive (2010) went viral, well done! Did you expect it and how did it happen? 

I'm not sure Mother Theresa Can't Dive went viral?! Did it?! Faces Going Places did wayyy back when, which was mad. I didn't expect it, and it happened very organically. I think people buy into real, raw talent. I just uploaded a video of myself in my pyjamas. 

Well, maybe not 'Charlie Bit My Finger' but over 24,000 views on YouTube is pretty impressive! Tell me a little more about LAYLA and Yellow Circles, how has this changed from your former solo work? 

LAYLA to me, is a new headspace and forum to create the music that I never thought I could make. This is what Yellow Circles is about. The song is about seeing nuggets of gold everywhere around you and realising that you can actually be anyone you want to be. For me, the new stuff is a result of learning to share and work with other people. I have entered the scary world of production and realised that it's actually all a big experiment. I never thought that I had found a "sound" - I was a girl and a piano, and I could hear lots of things in my head but had no way of getting them out. Working with other people on a highly creative level has been such a blessing, and allowed me to explore!

How much involvement do you have with the video production, as there's a definite thematic style which is just lovely. 

Thank you! I have a lot of involvement. I produced 'Yellow Circles' myself, and the video was directed by the amazing Daniel Broadley. I had a clear concept in my head of what I wanted it to look like - I chose all the colours, painted all the plasterboards myself (the day before I was up until 4am with tubs of B&Q paint flying around my kitchen), chose my outfit, designed my make up (which the amazing Bella Murchie brought to life), and had a heavy role in the editing. It was an amazing team of people that helped me make it become real, and I am very grateful to them. 

Your voice sounds like it's mellowed a lot and is a lovely mix of soft, honey tones with a punchier tonality. Would you agree?

Well thank you! I couldn't really say. All I know is that they say you hit your vocal prime at 30, so I am looking forward to that... 

Can we see you at a venue near us any time soon or will we have to wait until a single/album release? 

I will hopefully be touring early next year after I release the next EP! The live show is going to be really exciting and I want to ensure that when I go out on the road I am completely ready and in control.


Who/what are your current influences and does travel affect this? 

My influences are the people and places around me - more than ever. Travelling is amazing. I love that you do things you never would at home, even if it's sitting in a cafe and writing for a few hours. People do and go and say whatever they want when they are away from their normal lives. It's so liberating. I actually wrote some of the EP whilst I was in Amsterdam. I rented a piano and an apartment and wrote. What a treat! You are completely yourself, and not dictated by anything or anyone else in the world. Bliss. 



Happiness is... doing what you love with the people you love. All day. Every day. 

Success is.... doing what you love and achieving a sense of accomplishment/recognition.

Failure is... not doing what you love. We should all follow whatever our insides are telling us. Always. 

Life is... all about exploring, taking risks, going on adventures, meeting lots of people, persevering, learning and being brave!


You can listen to LAYLA here; /http://listentolayla.com/  and be sure to check out her video too, they call it mellow yellow...

No comments:

Post a Comment