Friday 27 September 2013

Jameela Jamil



A few months ago I had the pleasure of meeting the lovely Jameel Jamil. There she is and there's me, next to a filing cabinet, a Red Bull fridge and a rather phallic roll of cellophane. The glamour. Despite the naff surroundings we had a good old chin wag as I fought the urge to nestle into her bear coat. 


Being informed in the midst of a procrastination baking session, that you; “Have to interview one of Britain’s most loved TV and radio presenters in an hour, don’t show her your breasts this time,” is a scary prospect.
There’s always the conundrum of what to ask anybody when conducting an interview, but this time the question of what to wear was a more pressing matter when chatting to stylish model Jameela Jamil.  Reluctantly living in a house full of guys, like some oppressed Snow White, I looked around in despair, ditching the apron and scrubbing the cookie dough from under my nails and tried to look vaguely respectable.

Jotting down a few notes and questions I quickly sprinted (tottered and checked my breasts were covered) to wait for Jam Jam before she performed her DJ set. After awakening from her eight hour journey she appeared in six inch yellow heels paired with cute black and white polka dot socks, some wet look leggings and a furry bear suit, incredibly similar to my usual napping attire of pyjamas and drool...grounded and friendly, she greeted me with a hug and a fistful of popcorn.  



Me: You're famously known for being the first female DJ to present Radio 1's Chart Show. How important to you is the empowerment of women and what advice would you give to ambitious young women?

Jam: Incredibly important and something we should always fight for. It's important to be firm with your passions and to stick with what you enjoy because that’s always going to be more satisfying. I still haven’t decided what I’m best at,  but I know I enjoy a range of different things.

When starting out it's so so important to remember to watch your manners, don’t shit on people on your way up. Runners are like elephants – they never forget! Be positive, polite and be someone, someone else wants to spend an eighteen hour day with, cause that shit is hard!



Me: Sound advice, no one wants to be shat on!

Jam: Exactly!!

Me: Off the subject of excrement, who has been the most polite celebrity you've interviewed?

Jam: Ooh it's got to be Jake Gyllenhall and Tom Hanks, they were so lovely. I'd say Sam Worthington from Avatar was the most rude and unfunny. The best thing to remember, which he (Worthington) didn't is, when you work in this industry is, don't be a jerk!

 Me: Not cool, Worthington, not cool!

Jam: Exactly!! 



Me: Ideal, polite guests for your Radio One Chart Show?

Jam: It's got to be Michael McIntyre, as there's definitely a guilty crush forming there, and music wise Missy Elliott to fulfill a lifelong desire, but never, ever, Pitbull. I manage a band called Cushy and as well as their music I'm currently loving Tom Odell, Jessie Ware and Leanne Le Havas, so all of those would be lovely. 

Me: I asked my friends what they'd like to ask you and they said; 'How is your hair magically shiny, is it full of secrets?'

Jam: I can confirm it is both magic and full of secrets, yes. 

Me: 'Which foundation do you use?'

Jam: Mac Studio Fix

Me: And the unanimously popular question from all male friends, including my boyfriend was 'Will you marry me?'

Jam: Yes to all, apart from your boyfriend because you're buff! Maybe we should get married?!

Me: Deal!

And that's how I closed that example of award winning journalism, with a marriage proposal, at least I didn't expose my breasts...




1 comment: