Sunday 16 February 2014

An Interview with Hannah Clugston, Editorial Assistant at Aesthetica









Aesthetica Magazine is a printed and online publication featuring contemporary art and culture from around the globe. Known for its diverse content, clean design and dynamic photography, it is a universal sanctuary for art enthusiasts. Editorial Assistant, Hannah Clugston speaks of her Aesthetica ascent, fuelled by hard work and vast supplies of chocolate. 


If you could give a brief description of yourself, what would it be?

I am petite and obsessively organised. Benjamin Franklin once said: “For every minute spent organising an hour is earned” – I am a firm believer in this. I am a passionate list maker. I am also surprisingly loud for my height. When I was a teenager I sang in a band and people would comment on my surprising ability to sing in relation to my size. I am not sure they were being complimentary!?



What were you doing before you worked for Aesthetica?

I was a student, finishing my degree in English Literature. I also did a lot of work experience in journalism, specifically fashion writing. I went to London Fashion Week a few times and I have a particular passion for ethical clothing. I produced a fashion show in York, where I went to university, to promote conscientious shopping. 



How did you get to where you want to be and has all the hard worked paid off?

I took every opportunity I was given. For example, I got some work experience on the news desk at the local paper in York, The Press, and while I was there I met the fashion editor who I kept in contact with. I ended up writing regularly for the paper and pitching my own features. I am pleased to say the hard work did pay off – I now have my dream job, working in the arts and writing everyday.


  
What inspires you?

 A piece of art that helps you to perceive the world in a different way. I recently went to see an exhibition of Philip-Lorca diCorcia’s work and he takes a lot of street photography where the subjects are unaware of his presence. It was just amazing to look at all of these faces of people going about their lives, faces that we see everyday and we never take time to consider. Second to that, and more importantly, the Bible inspires me. I have been a Christian all my life and it is the guide by which I live. It doesn’t mater what’s happening, as long as I have that to hand, I can’t go far wrong. 



Advice to your younger self?

Don’t worry so much. My Dad always says we spend too much time worrying about things that never happen. When I was younger I was always concerned about tomorrow, which meant I missed out on enjoying today.


Artists and exhibitions that you're enjoying at the moment? Any ones to watch? 

I love the photographer Alex Prager. We have her most recent series, Face in the Crowd, in the current issue of Aesthetica. This is the second feature we have run on her. She takes these beautifully glamorous photographs layered in suspense and detail. 


You're most happiest when...?

I am curled up on the sofa watching a great film with my husband and a plentiful supply of chocolate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment