Friday 1 November 2013

The Heartbreaker





Arguably, The Heartbreaks are the best thing to come out of Morecambe since potted shrimps and Eric & Ernie. Forming in 2009, The Heartbreaks have toured with Carl Barat, Morrissey and Hurts and have been described by The Manic Street Preachers as 'one of the most exciting bands in the UK today.' 

Lead singer Matthew Whitehouse possesses many accolades; cheekbones carved by gods, a vast array of poncy shirts and the title of  '2008-2009 North West's Under 21s Fastest Soft Serve Ice Cream Pourer,' where he won £35 of WHSmith vouchers. Word. We chatted about life in and out of Morecambe a la mer. 




Is it satisfying that you can say you actually ARE big in Japan?
I don’t think anyone believes us. If you’re so big in Japan, what are you still doing in Morecambe, eh? Well, the ice-cream is better here, for one thing... 
How does Morecambe compare to some of the places you've visited? I bet the chips aren't half as nice anywhere else. 
We have a story in Morecambe about a local man who went on holiday to India and took a sightseeing trip to the Taj Mahal. It was sunset and, as the other tourists stood in awe at one of the most spectacular sights on the planet, the man turned away and sat with his back to the great Mughal structure. “Why don’t you want to look?” asked the young Indian tour-guide in disbelief. “Why would I?” said the man, “I’m from Morecambe. I see the sunsets like this every night”... This man was an idiot.


How do you spend your time when you're not touring and modeling for Burberry?
Honestly? I don’t do a huge amount outside of being a Heartbreak. It’s not really something you can clock in and clock out of... If I really have to do something, I like to read, I like to play miniature golf and I like to drink coffee at The Hall on China Street, Lancaster (I also like to receive free coffee for promoting local cafés in my spare time).

The most bizarre modelling experience and the most surreal experience you've had whilst on tour?
I find all modeling experiences surreal. In terms of surreality on tour, I guess receiving a knock at our dressing room door in Berlin and finding Morrissey stood there must be top. I was halfway though rearranging my bag at the time and remember spending the duration of our conversation thinking about how close he was stood to my boxer shorts. 




You're quite rightly actively against the NHS cuts, could you say a bit more as to why? LOVE the 'Born in the NHS' shirt by the way. 
Because I think it’s important that people are aware that the motivation behind the cuts is ideological rather than fiscal. The NHS was founded in a period of financial austerity. Britain had been at war for six years. It had been bombed and blitzed, it’s infrastructure shattered, but the political will was still there to provide a good health care system to all, regardless of wealth. If it is simply a matter of finance, collect the billions in unpaid taxes currently being kept offshore. Do not rob us of a National Health Service.

I hear you're into writing, what sort of things do you like to write about and would you ever consider trying to get published?
I've just had some writing published in a men's fashion magazine called HERO, funnily enough. A piece on the DIY/cassette scene in California. It's certainly something I'd like to do more of in the future.
Favourite authors/books?
So hard. My favourite book is probably F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Tender Is the Night. The best I’ve read this year is Taipei by Tao Lin.
Your due to tour with Kate Nash, aside from getting her to say 'bittarrr' and 'fittar,' what/where are you most looking forward doing/going?
I find Kate really inspiring. She’s vocal in her feminism on stage and I think she performs a great service to women in music and female solidarity in general. I wish more people put themselves on the line like she does.




Listen to The Heartbreaks latest single below, follow them on Twitter, and enjoy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment